Keywords are the search terms that people use when they are trying to find anything over the internet. Such words or phrases must be present in your web content so that people will be able to find you. Search engine decides if your webpage is relevant to a user’s search query based on the presence of search terms on your webpage. If those words or phrases are missing, then your webpage will not be considered relevant to the query by the search engine. Search engines are increasingly becoming more and more complex and have lowered their dependence on keywords. They have started focusing on semantic search, a technology which considers the contextual meanings of the query. But Latent Semantic Indexing is relatively new and is nowhere near perfect. Therefore keywords are really the key when it comes to search engine optimization.
Keywords research is the first step in the search engine optimization process. You should find out search terms that you want your website to rank for. This is a very important step and you have to be very careful while doing this research. Start with your own website see what your website is about, what it offers to people and based on answers to these questions select your target words. Focus on your competitors to see what words and phrases they are targeting. Once you have selected a pool of such words you should continuously update and diversify the list.
After the completion of the research process, the next step is to get your selected words and phrases ranked by search engines. There are two types of factors that can help in improving the ranking of your keywords those that are part of your webpage and those which are not under your direct control.
There are numbers of on-page SEO elements that can aid in enhancing your ranking for targeted search terms. It’s important to check On-Page SEO of your website.
- You can include your target word in your URL this is a sure way to get ranked for that word.
- Else you should try to include selected terms in titles of your web pages.
- But that is not enough your Meta title tag should also contain these terms.
- Even including such words in the Meta description tag is a good way to get ranked.
- Further, you have the option of using H1 to H6 heading tags on your webpage and each of these is an opportunity to include your focused terms let search engines know that your webpage contains content on these terms.
- This is not all Alt image tag is also useful in this regard. This can help you get ranked for search terms in image search as well. Considering the increasing volume of image searches nowadays this can prove to be a very beneficial tactic.
- Anchor text is another element that can be put to similar use.
There are many other on-page SEO elements that can boost your ranking for specific search words. You can check if these on-page SEO elements are being used for this on your webpage or not by online SEO score checker. I tried to be brief here because the real focus of this article is the ways off-page SEO can help you get ranked for your selected keywords.
Off-page SEO is things outside your website that can affect your search visibility and are also not under your direct control. For the most part, off-page SEO is about link building but it is not the whole story. It includes marketing and promotional strategies besides link building.
Off-page SEO can also play a role in getting your keywords ranked by search engines. Many off-page SEO activities can be used for this purpose. Guest blogging, social media forums and blog commenting are some of the off-page SEO tactics that can be for improving your ranking for targeted search terms.
- Guest Blogging is offering to post blogs on someone’s else website. It is mutually beneficial for both the parties. Through guest blogging, you can reach a new audience and increase traffic to your site. Similarly, guest blogging can also serve to get you ranked for your selected search words. When you post a blog as a guest on another website you can add your target words along with a backlink to your own website. This way the search engine will know that your website is related to these search words.
- Article submission is another great way to do this. Article submission is very much like guest blogging except instead of writing articles that are relevant to the host your articles are relevant to your own websites and you forward such articles to submission directories. Its benefits your keyword profile in the same way as guest blogging do.
- Forum websites are platforms where users can ask and answer each other question related to the specific topic of the forum. You can answer questions asked in such forums that are relevant to you and include links to your website and your targeted words.
- In addition to internet forums, there are also question and answers websites such as Quora. Such sites can be used in a similar way as forums.
- You can also advertise your website on classified websites. There are some classified websites that accept submission free of cost.
- Press releases are done to inform masses about important updates you made to your website. These can also play a role as you can add your targeted words in your press releases.
- Almost every blog gives readers the option of making comment at the bottom of the post. You can use this to say something about the blog and backlink your website with your relevant search items included in the comments.
- Slide share and similar websites give users a chance to upload slides on any topic. You can upload slide on your area of expertise and include your relevant search words in those slides.
All these on-page and off-page SEO elements, techniques and activities also provide an opportunity for you to get your website ranked for its relevant keywords. Seeing how important are keywords to search engine optimization you should grab every chance that you have to get your website ranked for targeted words with both hands.