Flooring is an essential part of home decoration. However, when it comes to choosing the right kind of floor for your home, the task can be quite daunting. The floor is the largest exposed side of a room, it sets the foundation for the entire look of the interior area in respect to texture, style, pattern and color. It is normal for you to desire flooring that is stable and lasts for many years.
The choice of flooring should be such that it is able to combine your needs with the style you prefer. Here a few tips to aid you in purchasing the right type of flooring for your home.
What are the essential factors for purchasing flooring?
- What Material do you prefer? Floorings come in a variety of options such as vinyl, laminate, timber, engineered, concrete or marble. If you want a classic look, opt for hardwood flooring. Laminated floors are, on the other hand, easy to install. Carpet is a good choice for a warm and hospitable approach while laminate and vinyl floorings are the easiest to install.
- Give preference to your style: Do you prefer something simple yet classy? Or would you like to go for vibrant colors? Ask yourself these questions before you pick a flooring from a gamut of choices. Ponder over the particular style of flooring that appeals to you, the glossy marble tiles or the fine grains of hardwood, or the luxurious, soft texture of carpet; the colors and patterns. The present décor of your home should also be taken into consideration. Your flooring should complement the accessories and other furniture in your home unless you are starting from scratch or renovating the entire house.
- Stay within your budget: Probably the most important factor for choosing the right type of flooring is your budget. It is always advisable to choose one that does not overtax your pocket. Keep in mind that you have to incorporate the installation, delivery and underlying charges too. While vinyl floorings are the most affordable options which can be bought at quite a low rate per sheets, hardwoods are one of the most expensive varieties. If you cannot afford hardwood, engineered timber flooring is an affordable alternative. Carpets are also fairly affordable options. Tiles are a bit more expensive as you need a professional to install the flooring.
- Are you going to install the flooring yourself or with professional aid? If you have decided to install the flooring by yourself, the expenditure will often be reduced to half. Vinyl and laminate flooring are the easiest to install. Some stores will offer free installation charges if the floor material is purchased from them. However, if you are choosing to install carpet or hardwood and engineered wood flooring, it is best to get a professional to install them. Again, porcelain or ceramic tiles can be installed by homeowners themselves.
- Where are you going to install it? The choice of flooring should also depend upon the location. If the flooring is for the bathroom, choose something that is highly moisture-resistant and easy to clean. You can use waterproof ceramic or concrete tiles or vinyl flooring for this purpose. Vinyl, along with laminate and timber flooring is also suitable for kitchens. Hardwood and carpet flooring are the best for drawing rooms.
With these tips in hand, you are now well-equipped as a customer while buying flooring. Make your purchase wisely, focusing on your budget. Flooring can change the outlook of your room drastically. Just as the perfect decision can be worth a great investment, a wrong choice will be an expensive blunder. Chalk out your plans, make a budget that is not too strained and keep in mind the atmosphere and appeal you desire. The stress of picking the right flooring will be considerably lessened.